In this article, I am gonna tell you about about aptX and the new aptX HD, what is it, how it works and what devices it’s supports.
Created in the 1980s as an audio-coding algorithm, popularly used by film studios and radio broadcasters.
aptX is a standard for encoding music or we can say audio for transmission over Bluetooth from smartphones, tablets or computers to headphones, speakers and the like.
aptX tech removes delay, so audio and video should be better synchronised.
Now aptX is featured as a Bluetooth technology, which is used by computers, smartphones, and many consumer based electronics products.
aptX Low Latency demo
What is the need of aptX?
- ability to transmit music, full bandwidth, at a ‘CD-like’ 16-bit/44.1kHz.
- aptX uses compression so thats why its quality is CD and non Cd like.
- minimise latency issues.
- Data rate of 352kbps with a compression ratio of 4:1 for aptX only.
NOTE :- aptX technology can only be used if both the devices have enabled the support for aptx.
Some devices that support aptX are :-
Announced in 2016 this is the new ver of aptX named as aptX HD. you can say that its an updated version of aptX, this updated technology enables streaming music in a way better sound quality.
Reason of upgrading the existing technology was :
- Increase in popularity of hi-res audio.
- Supports audio at 24-bit/48kHz.
- Compression remains at a ratio of 4:1.
- Bitrate of 576kbps.
Devices supporting aptX HD
The History of aptX®