If you haven’t heard about MediaTek they are the mobile chipset manufacturer and are the competitor of Snapdragon. From a long period of time, MediaTek is been criticized by many tech-Youtubers for bad performance and optimization and outdated technology. This year they unveiled its best midrange chipset ever at MWC 2018: the Helio P60. It is a SoC which we will see in many midrange smartphones, “Oppo F7 and Xiaomi mi 6x” and it will directly compete with Snapdragon 6XX series.
Right now MediaTek Helio P60 is competing with Snapdragon 660, which is the best midrange budget chipset in the year 2017-18 by Qualcomm.
Helio P60 is much better in the paper than Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and benchmarks have already shown better results.
MediaTek Helio P60 Specification
|CPU||4x Cortex A73 @ 2.0GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 2.0GHz|
|GPU||Mali G72MP3 @ 800MHz|
|Display||Up to Full HD+ 20:9|
|Memory||1x 32bit LPDDR3 @ 933MHz, 2x 16bit LPDDR4X @ 1800MHz|
|Video reording and playback||2160p30 H.264 & HEVC, HDR recording in real timene|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2
Cellular Modem: LTE Cat.7 Download, Cat.13 2CA Upload
APU / NPU / AI Proc. / Neural IP
|Battery Charging||Fast battery charging technology|
MediaTek Helio P60 is based on a 12nm TSMC’s new process which is much better than its competitors which are built on 14nm architecture.
The P60 uses a G72MP3 running at up to 800MHz and promises a 25% gaming efficiency boost (at up to 70% higher GPU performance).
MediaTek Helio P60 has an advanced dedicated module for AI, which can perform deep-learning facial detection, scene recognition, AR and MR acceleration, and more smart tasks: it is called NeuroPilot.
Advantages of MediaTek Helio P60 over its competitors
- Build on a TSMC 12nm FinFET production process. Midrange snapdragon 660 and 636 are built on the 14nm process, therefore, MediaTek Helio p60 would be slightly better performing chipset in speed as well as power efficiency.
- It supports Dual Volte or Dual 4G SIM which is a gamechanger.
- MediaTek prices its chipset slightly lower than the Qualcomm so the price of the smartphone equipped with Helio P60 would be cheaper.
- Ai for face-recognition, which is faster and better than Qualcomm midranges.
Disadvantages of MediaTek Helio P60 are
- Does not Support Bluetooth 5. It only supports up to Bluetooth 4.2.
- Due to previous bad chipsets, MediaTek reputation has gone down. Basically due to heating problems and under-performing Mediatek has been badly criticised by many top youtube reviewers.
- MediaTek chipsets have the problem in compatibility with Android Updates. Means if you buy any MediaTek powered phone it is seen that you are stuck on the default OS no updates in future.
MediaTek Helio P60 Benchmark Score
MediaTek Helio P60 Videos over the Internet
MediaTek Helio P60 Thermal Performance with CorePilot 4.0
Snapdragon 626 vs Snapdragon 636 vs MediaTek Helio P60
Overall we can assume that the Mediatek Helio P60 is a great chipset and can compete with the midrange Snapdragon processor with ease. But… Wait Qualcomm is about to release their midrange processor Snapdragon 670 and 700 series.