Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only installed on GPT disks.
Many of us might get this error message while upgrading and installing windows from windows 7 to windows 10 or 8, a cause of this error is MBR partition table which is asked to be upgraded to GPT which is more secure and supports UEFI partition table.
So you might be thinking what is MBR and GPT so let’s understand it in short.
Master boot record (MBR) disks use the standard BIOS partition table. GUID partition table (GPT) disks use unified extensible firmware interface (UEFI). One advantage of GPT disks is that you can have more than four partitions on each disk.GPT is also required for disks larger than 2 terabytes.
Also, for the newer model of computer that uses UEFI, it will only support GPT.
So to fix this error steps are as follows:-
Warning : In this process all you hard-disk data will get erased so backup before it gets messed up.
- Press SHIFT+F10 at the installation menu
- Now you will see the command prompt ready
- Input “diskpart” in the CMD.
- Input “list disk“, and then select the MBR disk you want to convert by typing “select disk x” (x is the number of MBR disk) Be carefully and remove all your external drives.
- Input “list partition”, and then select the existing partitions and delete all of them by typing “delete partition x” command.
- If the above step won’t work simply Input “list partition”, and then select the existing partitions”select disk x” x is your disk which you can see in “list partition” command and then press Enter and after that type “clean”
- Input “convert gpt”.
- Close it and install windows.
That’s it, Now you can format your PC without any problem.